For 50 years Edinburgh Instruments has been providing customers at leading-edge research institutes, academic and industrial facilities with the best fluorescence spectroscopy products in the world. Our products combine customisation, user-friendliness and high performance and are experiencing higher-than-ever demand in this growing worldwide marketplace.
Please view our current job vacancies below.
Software Development Engineer
As part of our product development strategy we are looking for Software Engineers to join our teams designing and developing software for our expanding range of Spectrometer products at our Livingston base.
Our software products cover a broad range of functionality, ranging from data acquisition and hardware control to graphical visualisation, data processing and numerical analysis, and data management.
You should be
- A self-starter with several years of experience in commercial or industrial software product development for the Microsoft Windows platform
- Degree qualified in software engineering or a related engineering/science discipline with relevant software development experience.
- Highly fluent in technical English
- Lives within or willing to relocate to reasonable commuting distance of Livingston
- Valid UK work permit and/or EU residency qualification.
Technical Skills Required
- Broad Microsoft Windows programming experience – currently we use Delphi, C++ and C# languages
- Experience in all areas of software development – from gathering requirements and writing specs to testing/debugging and documentation
- A thorough understanding of Object Oriented Design methods and patterns
- Demonstrable UI design skills
- Experience of using Source Code Management and Bug tracking tools in a team environment
Any additional experience in at least one of the following areas is welcomed
- Instrumentation – Scientific/Medical, hardware interfacing, data acquisition, USB devices, sensors, motor control, etc.
- Graphics – Data visualisation, charting, 3D
- Mathematical programming – Algorithms, statistics, etc.
- Edinburgh Instruments operates flexible working hours within a 37.5 hour working week, including an early finish on Fridays.
- Employment paid sickness, death in service & permanent health insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Paid holidays with flexible statutory holidays and a Christmas shutdown
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
Software Development Engineer - TREC
Company: Techcomp Research & Engineering Centre
Job Title: Software Development Engineer
Reports to: Software Team Leader
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Job Purpose & key responsibilities:
We are seeking enthusiastic, self-motivated, Software Engineers to join our expanding R&D team within Techcomp, Scotland, UK. In this role you will contribute to the development and testing of software for scientific instrumentation and laboratory products. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team, whilst also being capable of working independently. Key activities of the role include:
- The design, development, testing and debugging of new and existing software.
- Working with technical colleagues to understand end user requirements, problems and issues, and subsequently develop targeted software solutions to fulfil them.
- Engages in the software development process, including writing and maintaining documentation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree or higher in a software engineering discipline (Candidate without formal qualifications who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered).
- Experienced in a range of programming languages and tools including;
- C#, .NET, Entity Framework, SQLServer, WCF, WPF and Windows services
- TeamCity, Subversion, Git
- DevExpress UI tools
- Commercial software development experience, working to software coding, review and testing standards and best practice.
- Experience of writing software documentation including requirements, testing, installation and user documentation.
- Experience of mathematical and graphical data programming including algorithms, statistics, graphs, charting and 3D Data visualisation.
- Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing of technical documents.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, independently and as part of a team.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work through complex issues with a methodical approach to solving technical problems.
- Keen to learn with a desire to develop your own knowledge and experience.
Salary – The range for this post is £DOE plus pension and benefits package.
International Service Manager: Laboratory Products Division
International Service Manager: Laboratory Products Division
Salary dependent on experience, plus excellent benefits package
This is a brand-new role and exciting career opportunity for a Service Manager looking for a fresh challenge with an international remit in a global organisation. Our new International Service Manager will work collaboratively with our Group businesses located across multiple European sites, within our General Laboratory Division. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for science and systems and how this translates into successful after sales service and support.
Our new International Service Manager will be highly driven and motivated with a track record of achievement and profile of experience gained from working in a laboratory environment. Technical competence is really important to us, and so ideally our International Service Manager will possess a Scientific degree, plus MSc/PhD; if you don’t have the formal qualification but do have relevant service management experience in the industry and a good understanding of general lab products, then we’d still like to hear from you. Previous experience in regulatory and quality systems (ISO9001, ISO17025, ISO13485) would be extremely advantageous. As would knowledge of scientific refrigeration. Responsibilities include:
- After sales service & support of the Lab Products lines
- Preparation & review of existing documentation (service manuals, troubleshooting guides, certification)
- Overview & support of dealer & customer training courses & materials (web based etc.)
- Providing 1st class service support for our dealers & customers through the inception of an international call centre network
- Contributing towards product strategy & vision
- Stakeholder engagement & management (product developers, marketing, customer service, finance & company heads)
- Budget Management (service support & consumables/spare parts sales)
- Research (competitors & similar products)
- Management of the Precisa UK service team & maintenance of our quality systems accreditation & certification (ISO17025 & ISO9001)
Some travel to our European businesses will be required. In addition, the role may involve giving presentations at user seminars, workshops and conferences throughout the world as well as attending relevant exhibitions and so the ability to present ideas and information accurately in a clear and concise manner is critical.
Our client is a division of Techcomp Europe, which consists of a group of SME scientific instrument manufacturing businesses with production sites across Europe. Our UK HQ is based at our campus site in Livingston where we have recently invested in our SME facilities. It’s a great place to work.
For more information please call our retained Consultant Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing on 01477 534491; view the full job spec on www.oakleighresourcing.co.uk. To apply email your CV to email@example.com No agencies please.
Sales Manager - EEMEA region (within our General Laboratory Products Group) - For Techcomp Sister companies
Title: Sales Manager – EEMEA region (within our General Laboratory Products Group)
Based: Livingston, Scotland
Salary dependent on experience
This is a brand-new role and exciting career opportunity for a Sales Manager or highly commercial lab expert seeking a transition into Sales. Our client is a division of Techcomp Europe, which consists of a group of SME scientific instrument manufacturing businesses with production sites across Europe. Our UK HQ is based at our campus site in Livingston, Scotland where we have recently invested in our SME facilities. Our Laboratory Products Group, with commercial operations based in Livingston, is responsible for the sales and support of Techcomp Instruments’ general laboratory products into the Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (“the region”).
We are seeking a dynamic, proactive and self-motivated Sales Manager with good technical knowledge and a level of understanding of analytical & life science environments & equipment. Ideally our Sales Manager will have a scientific degree, however if you have experience of the industry and a good understanding of General laboratory environments and their applications rather than a formal qualification, we’d still like to hear from you. It’s really important that you will be able to converse with customers about their requirements, speak from a position of knowledge about our products, and that you feel ‘at home’ in the lab environment. You may currently be working in a lab with the desire to move into Sales, where you can put your technical knowledge to commercial use. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team; operate effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse environment. You should also be capable of working independently, as a large part of your time will be operating across your region.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, responsibilities will include:
- Recruitment of new distribution partners
- Management of existing distribution partners in specific territories.
- Assistance and co-ordination of activities and information with HQ based marketing and product management team to share ideas and market intelligence.
- Support and communicate regularly with peers in the manufacturing operations in France, China and Switzerland
- Generate a sales pipeline and management of the Techcomp CRM database to provide visibility of opportunities and communications
- Provide support for tenders and opportunities with dealers in their markets
It is expected that our new Sales Manager will spend at least 50% of their time travelling to customers sites across “the region”. Whilst there are restrictions on global travel at the present time, we are operating a mix of remote & office working, supported by technology to ensure we continue to meet our growth targets and customer engagement. This is very much a self-directed role where you will be expected to grow our sales pipeline and generate new sales from initial opportunity. With appropriate training you’ll carry out product demonstrations and providing practical support to end-users. You’ll enjoy visiting customer sites and be naturally curious about their set up.
For more information, please call our exclusively retained Consultant Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing on 01477 534491; view the full job spec on www.oakleighresourcing.co.uk. To apply email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org No agencies please.
Applications for vacancies advertised or speculative CVs are welcomed to email@example.com.
The Company can only process applications from candidates who possess a valid UK work permit and / or EU residency qualification.
Alternatively apply in writing to:
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd.,
2 Bain Square, Kirkton Campus,