This privacy notice sets out how Edinburgh Instruments (« we », « us » or « our ») uses any personal data that you provide to us in accordance with the United Kingdom and EU General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 (“Data Protection Legislation”). Edinburgh Instruments is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
Edinburgh Instruments will undertake periodic reviews of this notice which may result in updates or amendments which will be published here on our website.
Edinburgh Instruments primarily designs and manufactures bespoke spectroscopic systems for various spectroscopy markets including Photoluminescence, Raman, UV-Vis and Transient Absorption. We are the data controller of all the personal data processed in accordance with our business.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us using the details set out below:
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd
2 Bain Square
Email address: privacy @edinst.com
HOW AND WHAT WE COLLECT
We may collect the following personal data:
- Contact information including email address and delivery address;
- Information relating to the service we provide to you;
- Details of any feedback you give us by phone, email, post or via social media;
- Your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences; and
- Information about how you use our website(s), IT, communication and other systems including technical data such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system.
Personal data may be collected in different ways dependent on your interaction with Edinburgh Instruments. The main way is by direct interaction with you in person, by telephone, text or email and/or via our website, such as when you sign up to subscribe to our newsletter.
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will only process your personal data where we have a legitimate purpose to do so. Reasons we may process your personal data include:
- To provide you with our products and services and the performance of a contract we have with you.
- To respond to your enquiries where we have a legitimate interest to do so;
- To improve our products and services where we have a legitimate interest to do so;
- To send promotional emails about new products, offers or information which we think you may find interesting where we have a legitimate interest to do so;
- For market research purposes where we have legitimate interest to do so; and
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will only share your personal data where we have a lawful reason to do so and if we do need to share your personal data, we ensure that it is adequately protected. We may share your personal data in the following limited circumstances:
- With third parties who support our operations, for example, it may be necessary to forward your contact information to our distributors to support with your enquiries and orders;
- With marketing agencies (to send you promotional information which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen) or website hosts; and
- With members of our group of companies, where it is necessary for us to do so.
Some of the third parties who support our business are based outside the UK. If we share information with third parties based outside the UK, we ensure there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect your personal data.
KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL DATA SECURE
We are committed to ensuring that your personal data is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable technical and organisational security measures in place. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data under our instructions.
We have robust procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
STORING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for and in line with our data retention schedules.
DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS
You have a number of rights under data protection law in relation to your personal data and if you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at privacy @edinst.com and we will be happy to help. These rights are as follows:
- right to request access to your personal data – you can request a copy of the personal data we hold on you;
- right to request correction of your personal data – if any personal data we hold on you is incorrect, you can request to have it corrected;
- right to request erasure of your personal data – you can ask us to delete your personal data in certain circumstances;
- right to object to processing or restrict processing of your personal data – you may object to our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances;
- right to request the transfer of your personal data – to provide you, or a third party you have chosen, with your personal data;
- right not to be subject to automated decision making and profiling; and
- right to withdraw consent – where we process your personal data on the basis of consent, you can notify us that you want to withdraw consent any time.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
HOW TO COMPLAIN
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal data, you can make a complaint to us at privacy @edinst.com.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your personal data. They can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk