For 50 years Edinburgh Instruments has been providing customers at leading-edge research institutes, academic and industrial facilities with the best fluorescence spectroscopy products in the world. Our products combine customisation, user-friendliness and high performance and are experiencing higher-than-ever demand in this growing worldwide marketplace.
Please view our current job vacancies below.
Global Logistics Manager
Role: Global Logistics Manger
Location: Livingston, UK
Edinburgh Instruments are looking to recruit a Global Logistics Manger for their Livingston Headquarters. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a world leading instrumentation manufacturer who ship state-of-the-art instrumentation into leading research facilities and universities around the world. The company is also involved in the manufacture of industrial gas sensors and the sale of sister company products (manufactured in the EU, Switzerland and China) within the UK
The role would suit an experienced Logistics Manager with knowledge of air freight and trade compliance including SPIRE export control. Ultimately, you will be responsible for the timely shipping of all our products and the importation of components, raw materials and sister company products including scientific instruments, balances and ultra-low temperature freezers.
- Overall responsibility for global logistics planning, ensuring: compliance with relevant regulations; effective and efficient service to customers, on-time collections and deliveries
- Negotiate and oversee the management of logistics associated outsourced services including Liaising with freight carriers, obtaining quotes, booking of transport and negotiating freight contracts
- Preparation of shipping documentation (invoices, purchase orders and bills of lading)
- Organisation or relevant import and export documentation.
- Ensuring compliance with HM Customs and SPIRE legislative requirements for import and export
- Provide logistical support for other divisions of the company located on site including development and marketing departments.
- Maintenance of commodity codes on all products
- Plan shipments based on product availability and customer requests
- Provide information to customers about the status of their orders
- Maintain updated records of orders, suppliers and customers
- Ensuring POD’s are received for all shipments.
- Liaise with customer arranged freight carriers
- Manage and maintain outstanding levels of customer service to ensure efficiency throughout the logistics operation
- Ensuring that agreed client service levels are met
- Experience as a Logistics Manager or similar role
- University degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics or relevant field (candidates who do not have a degree but have other relevant qualifications and demonstrable experience will be considered).
- ERP Systems experience
- Knowledge of logistics software or transport management systems
- Experience with letters of credit and other financial instruments for international trade
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Experience dealing with freight companies within the UK and internationally
- Able to communicate at all levels within the business
- PC Literate and proficient knowledge of MS Office packages
- Valid UK work permit and/or settled/pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
Additional Details About the Role
Hours: Contracted hours are 37.5 hours per week with flexible working hours.
Benefits: After an initial qualifying period and subject to the company’s terms and conditions of employment Edinburgh Instruments offers a comprehensive range of benefits including performance related bonus scheme, paid sickness, death in service, permanent health insurance, private medical insurance, pension scheme, paid holidays with flexible statutory days and subsidised gym membership.
Salary: A competitive salary package is available to the right candidate.
Why Edinburgh Instruments?
For 50 years, Edinburgh Instruments have been providing customers at leading-edge research institutes, academic and industrial facilities with high-end, high-value scientific instrumentation. Products combine customisation, user-friendliness and high performance and are experiencing higher-than-ever demand worldwide. Edinburgh Instruments pride themselves in providing customers with industry-leading support and the successful candidate will be entrusted to ensure smooth transport of our precision equipment from our factory to leading academic institutions and research facilities around the world.
Edinburgh Instruments is part of Techcomp Ltd a Hong Kong based Scientific Instrumentation company with offices and manufacturing facilities around the world.
For more information please call our retained Consultant Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing on 01477 534491.
To apply via email please send your CV to email@example.com.
Software Development Engineer
As part of our product development strategy we are looking for Software Engineers to join our teams designing and developing software for our expanding range of Spectrometer products at our Livingston base.
Our software products cover a broad range of functionality, ranging from data acquisition and hardware control to graphical visualisation, data processing and numerical analysis, and data management.
You should be
- A self-starter with several years of experience in commercial or industrial software product development for the Microsoft Windows platform
- Degree qualified in software engineering or a related engineering/science discipline with relevant software development experience.
- Highly fluent in technical English
- Lives within or willing to relocate to reasonable commuting distance of Livingston
- Valid UK work permit and/or EU residency qualification.
Technical Skills Required
- Broad Microsoft Windows programming experience – currently we use Delphi, C++ and C# languages
- Experience in all areas of software development – from gathering requirements and writing specs to testing/debugging and documentation
- A thorough understanding of Object Oriented Design methods and patterns
- Demonstrable UI design skills
- Experience of using Source Code Management and Bug tracking tools in a team environment
Any additional experience in at least one of the following areas is welcomed
- Instrumentation – Scientific/Medical, hardware interfacing, data acquisition, USB devices, sensors, motor control, etc.
- Graphics – Data visualisation, charting, 3D
- Mathematical programming – Algorithms, statistics, etc.
- Edinburgh Instruments operates flexible working hours within a 37.5 hour working week, including an early finish on Fridays.
- Employment paid sickness, death in service & permanent health insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Paid holidays with flexible statutory holidays and a Christmas shutdown
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
Software Development Engineer - TREC
Company: Techcomp Research & Engineering Centre
Job Title: Software Development Engineer
Reports to: Software Team Leader
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Job Purpose & key responsibilities:
We are seeking enthusiastic, self-motivated, Software Engineers to join our expanding R&D team within Techcomp, Scotland, UK. In this role you will contribute to the development and testing of software for scientific instrumentation and laboratory products. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team, whilst also being capable of working independently. Key activities of the role include:
- The design, development, testing and debugging of new and existing software.
- Working with technical colleagues to understand end user requirements, problems and issues, and subsequently develop targeted software solutions to fulfil them.
- Engages in the software development process, including writing and maintaining documentation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree or higher in a software engineering discipline (Candidate without formal qualifications who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered).
- Experienced in a range of programming languages and tools including;
- C#, .NET, Entity Framework, SQLServer, WCF, WPF and Windows services
- TeamCity, Subversion, Git
- DevExpress UI tools
- Commercial software development experience, working to software coding, review and testing standards and best practice.
- Experience of writing software documentation including requirements, testing, installation and user documentation.
- Experience of mathematical and graphical data programming including algorithms, statistics, graphs, charting and 3D Data visualisation.
- Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing of technical documents.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, independently and as part of a team.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work through complex issues with a methodical approach to solving technical problems.
- Keen to learn with a desire to develop your own knowledge and experience.
Salary – The range for this post is £DOE plus pension and benefits package.
Sales Manager - EEMEA region (within our General Laboratory Products Group) - For Techcomp Sister companies
Title: Sales Manager – EEMEA region (within our General Laboratory Products Group)
Based: Livingston, Scotland
Salary dependent on experience
This is a brand-new role and exciting career opportunity for a Sales Manager or highly commercial lab expert seeking a transition into Sales. Our client is a division of Techcomp Europe, which consists of a group of SME scientific instrument manufacturing businesses with production sites across Europe. Our UK HQ is based at our campus site in Livingston, Scotland where we have recently invested in our SME facilities. Our Laboratory Products Group, with commercial operations based in Livingston, is responsible for the sales and support of Techcomp Instruments’ general laboratory products into the Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (“the region”).
We are seeking a dynamic, proactive and self-motivated Sales Manager with good technical knowledge and a level of understanding of analytical & life science environments & equipment. Ideally our Sales Manager will have a scientific degree, however if you have experience of the industry and a good understanding of General laboratory environments and their applications rather than a formal qualification, we’d still like to hear from you. It’s really important that you will be able to converse with customers about their requirements, speak from a position of knowledge about our products, and that you feel ‘at home’ in the lab environment. You may currently be working in a lab with the desire to move into Sales, where you can put your technical knowledge to commercial use. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team; operate effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse environment. You should also be capable of working independently, as a large part of your time will be operating across your region.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, responsibilities will include:
- Recruitment of new distribution partners
- Management of existing distribution partners in specific territories.
- Assistance and co-ordination of activities and information with HQ based marketing and product management team to share ideas and market intelligence.
- Support and communicate regularly with peers in the manufacturing operations in France, China and Switzerland
- Generate a sales pipeline and management of the Techcomp CRM database to provide visibility of opportunities and communications
- Provide support for tenders and opportunities with dealers in their markets
It is expected that our new Sales Manager will spend at least 50% of their time travelling to customers sites across “the region”. Whilst there are restrictions on global travel at the present time, we are operating a mix of remote & office working, supported by technology to ensure we continue to meet our growth targets and customer engagement. This is very much a self-directed role where you will be expected to grow our sales pipeline and generate new sales from initial opportunity. With appropriate training you’ll carry out product demonstrations and providing practical support to end-users. You’ll enjoy visiting customer sites and be naturally curious about their set up.
For more information, please call our exclusively retained Consultant Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing on 01477 534491; view the full job spec on www.oakleighresourcing.co.uk. To apply email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org No agencies please.
Junior Graphic Designer
Location: Livingston, West Lothian, Scotland
Salary: DOE. Contract: Full time, Permanent
Due to continued growth and expansion, an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Junior Graphic Designer has arisen to join our dynamic team. The role is extremely varied and requires a flexible individual to work across multiple businesses within the Scientific Research industry. As our new Junior Graphic Designer, you will join an established marketing team under the supervision of the Senior Graphic Designer, where you’ll be expected to generate and develop great ideas to assist in creating branding, sales and marketing collateral across several brands.
- Assist the senior designer in creating high quality branding for internal and external marketing collateral across our brands – this could include brochures, posters, advert campaigns, web graphics, large format, pop-up stands and identities for internal events or campaigns etc.
- Assisting with shooting short videos for new and existing products. This may also include generating animations or complimentary graphics to feature inside the video or as a stand alone.
- Assist with photographic requirements which may include product photography, lab images and team members.
- Identify new and creative ideas to help develop and improve the marketing strategy.
- Ensuring design work is aligned to the brief, brand guidelines and environment for which it is being created and is delivered in a timely manner.
- (Highly Desirable) Knowledge/experience in Motion Graphics/Video editing/production skills (AfterEffects, Premier).
- At least 1 year experience in Graphic Design. (Agency experience highly desirable)
- Strong working knowledge of the full Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Creative flair and an excellent eye for detail.
- Strong typographic flair, layouts and use of colour is vital.
- Solid understanding of creating production ready assets for digital and print.
- Professional punctuality, awareness and appreciation of client needs.
- A keen market awareness of current technology, emerging styles and trends.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in a fast pace environment.
- Significant understanding on the importance of presenting ideas, and design routes to the wider team, and senior management.
- Experience in the production of brochures/flyers desirable.
- (Beneficial but not desirable) Knowledge of MS Office packages (Word, Powerpoint).
Education / Experience
- Relevant degree in graphic design.
- 1+ years experience desirable but an enthusiastic graduate with the right attitude will also be considered.
Summary of employment conditions
Hours of work 37.5 hours per week. The company operates a flexible working week.
Due to the current climate regarding Covid-19, all our interviews are now taking place as a video interview via Zoom / Skype / Teams. The successful candidate may be asked to be on-site a few days per week, working within strict Covid-19 guidelines, during the induction period to help familiarise with the business.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com along with a covering lettering accompanied with links to your latest work, or a PDF portfolio.
Applications for vacancies advertised or speculative CVs are welcomed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company can only process applications from candidates who possess a valid UK work permit and / or EU residency qualification.
Alternatively apply in writing to:
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd.,
2 Bain Square, Kirkton Campus,