For over 40 years, Edinburgh Instruments has been providing customers at leading-edge research institutes, academic and industrial facilities with the best fluorescence spectroscopy products in the world. Our products combine customisation, user-friendliness and high performance and are experiencing higher-than-ever demand in this growing worldwide marketplace.
Please view our current job vacancies below.
Software Development Engineer
As part of our product development strategy we are looking for Software Engineers to join our teams designing and developing software for our expanding range of Spectrometer products at our Livingston base.
Our software products cover a broad range of functionality, ranging from data acquisition and hardware control to graphical visualisation, data processing and numerical analysis, and data management.
You should be
- A self-starter with several years of experience in commercial or industrial software product development for the Microsoft Windows platform
- Degree qualified in software engineering or a related engineering/science discipline with relevant software development experience.
- Highly fluent in technical English
- Lives within or willing to relocate to reasonable commuting distance of Livingston
- Valid UK work permit and/or EU residency qualification.
Technical Skills Required
- Broad Microsoft Windows programming experience – currently we use Delphi, C++ and C# languages
- Experience in all areas of software development – from gathering requirements and writing specs to testing/debugging and documentation
- A thorough understanding of Object Oriented Design methods and patterns
- Demonstrable UI design skills
- Experience of using Source Code Management and Bug tracking tools in a team environment
Any additional experience in at least one of the following areas is welcomed
- Instrumentation – Scientific/Medical, hardware interfacing, data acquisition, USB devices, sensors, motor control, etc.
- Graphics – Data visualisation, charting, 3D
- Mathematical programming – Algorithms, statistics, etc.
- Edinburgh Instruments operates flexible working hours within a 37.5 hour working week, including an early finish on Fridays.
- Employment paid sickness, death in service & permanent health insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Paid holidays with flexible statutory holidays and a Christmas shutdown
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
Company: Techcomp Research & Engineering Centre
Job Title: Manual Machinist
Reports to: Product Development Manager
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Job Purpose & Key Responsibilities:
We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, Manual Machinist to join our expanding team within Techcomp, Scotland, UK. In this role, you will contribute to manufacturing precision components used within scientific instrumentation, and laboratory products. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team, whilst also being capable of working independently. Work activities will include:
- Precision milling of aluminium, steel and plastic components from scratch using manual mills.
- Modification of components using mills and hand tools.
- Providing support and advice on the manufacturing considerations of components as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Time served apprenticeship in machining / Diploma or higher formal qualification in a component manufacturing discipline (Candidates without formal qualifications who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered).
- Highly experienced manual machinist with the ability of milling precision components in a range of materials (aluminium, steel and plastic) using 3 axis vertical turret mill.
- Understanding of 2D technical drawings, including tolerances, material & finishing requirements.
- Excellent practical machining and engineering skills, including modification and finishing of components using hand tools.
- Comfortable using computer equipment and basic windows software (Email, word and excel).
- Experience of using Bridgeport vertical turret / knee mills, including dividing head attachments.
- Experience in using manual lathes to produce precision components in a range of materials (aluminium, steel and plastic).
- Experience of using CAD or PDM software to view technical drawings.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Individual who takes pride in their work and strives to produce high quality components, with an eye for detail.
- Salary: The range for this post is £DOE plus pension and PHI.
UK Sales Manager (General Laboratory products & Gas Sensing Products)
This is a brand-new role and exciting career opportunity with our sister companies for an experienced Sales Manager (or lab expert seeking a transition into sales) looking for a fresh challenge in a global organisation with responsibility for further developing direct sales in our UK General Laboratory and Gas Sensing solutions business.
We are seeking a dynamic, proactive and self-motivated Sales Manager with good technical knowledge and level of understanding of analytical and life science environments and equipment. Ideally our Sales Manager will have a Scientific degree, but if you don’t have the formal qualification but do have experience of the industry and a good understanding of General laboratory environments and their applications, then we’d still like to hear from you. It’s really important that you will be able to converse with customers about their requirements, and speak from a position of knowledge about the products we offer and that you are ‘at home’ in the lab environment. You may currently be working in a lab environment with the desire to make a career move into Sales, where you can put your technical knowledge to commercial use. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team, whilst also being capable of working independently.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, you will also collaborate with direct sales colleagues from within our other businesses across the UK. It is expected that our new Sales Manager will spend around 30%-50% of his/her time travelling to customers sites across the UK, with the occasional trip overseas. This is very much a self-directed role where you will be expected to grow our sales pipeline and generate new sales from initial opportunity. With appropriate training you’ll carry out product demonstrations and providing practical support to end-users. You’ll enjoy visiting customer sites and be naturally curious about their set up.
Our client is a division of Techcomp Europe, which consists of a group of SME scientific instrument manufacturing businesses with production sites across Europe. Our UK HQ is based at our campus site in Livingston where we have recently invested in our SME facilities. It’s a great place to work.
For more information please call our retained Consultant Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing on 01477 534491; view the full job spec on www.oakleighresourcing.co.uk. To apply email your CV to email@example.com No agencies please.
Applications for vacancies advertised or speculative CVs are welcomed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company can only process applications from candidates who possess a valid UK work permit and / or EU residency qualification.
Alternatively apply in writing to:
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd.,
2 Bain Square, Kirkton Campus,