Job Title: Software Engineer
Reporting To: Senior Software Engineer
Location: 2 Bain Square, Kirkton Campus, Livingston EH54 7DQ
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
To be involved in the design, development, testing, maintenance and documentation of system software as required for the Company’s products.
- to design, code, test and maintain system software for Company products
- to assist in the production of manuals and support documentation for system software
- to maintain full records of work done and ensure safe keeping of all system software
- to ensure that all activities comply with Company quality procedures
- to provide technical support to Production, Operations and Sales teams as required
- to keep abreast of current technology and advise the Company on issues that may affect performance and success
- to undertake off-site visits if required to install, service or maintain software systems and computer related hardware
- to undertake other duties allocated by line manager
Degree qualified in Software Engineering or a related engineering/science discipline with relevant software development experience
Technical Experience and Skills Required
An ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience of commercial or industrial software product development to high quality standards
- Broad Microsoft Windows programming experience using C++ and Delphi or C#
- Proven experience and skills in designing user interfaces for complex systems
- The ability to implement Object Oriented Design methods and patterns effectively
- Experience and skills covering all areas of the software lifecycle – specification, design, coding, testing, debugging, installation and maintenance.
- Experience of working in a team using Source Code Management (preferably a DVCS) and Bug tracking Systems
Experience of writing software to interface PCs to instrumentation, including:
- Communicating with microprocessors/controllers and FPGAs
- Using communications standards such as USB, RS-232, PCI and Ethernet.
- Controlling digital and analogue electronics including stepper motors, digital I/O and ADCs
- Experience of implementing or developing Numerical Analysis techniques
- Must have a natural aptitude for problem solving
- Must be creative, with an eye for detail
- Must be able to work to set priorities and tight deadlines and drive projects forward with minimal supervision.
- Good communications skills are required to develop complex systems as part of a team and consult effectively with system designers
- Keen to learn new software development techniques and methodologies
Responsible for the detailed documentation, version control and safe storage of product related software
There may be the occasional requirement to travel either for on-site installation or service of software or to support the Sales and Marketing team in software aspects of the negotiation of special projects, etc.
Summary of employment conditions
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week
Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm – ½ hour lunch break
Friday 8.30 to 2pm
After an initial qualifying period and subject to the company’s terms and conditions of employment paid sickness, death in service, permanent health insurance, private medical insurance, pension scheme, paid holidays and relevant statutory days as taken by the company.
Salary Package: A competitive salary package is available to the right candidate
We are always looking for new talent and would welcome you to submit your C.V.by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the address provided below:
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd
2 Bain Square
Sales Engineer/Senior Sales Engineer x 2
Territories: North America and Far East
Edinburgh Instruments is a pioneer in the field of advanced fluorescence lifetime spectrometers and prospect for sales globally. Over 80% of our sales are exports with strong growth in sales over the recent years. We are now looking to recruit Sales Engineers to strengthen our sales team to develop the business.
Education and Work Experience:
Candidates with appropriate educational qualifications - PhD level or Masters level in Physics / Chemistry. A first degree that included modules in Optoelectronics would be considered desirable. It would be beneficial if candidates had practical operational knowledge in the use of spectrofluorimeters integrated with lasers and ancillaries such as cryostats. Capital equipment sales experience would be highly advantageous. Candidates that do not have the academic background outlined but can demonstrate relevant sales experience will also be considered.
The successful applicant would need to be prepared to undertake international travel, be a team player, able to conduct technical presentations and engage in tender response preparation, and some offsite support for sales personnel will be required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Tenacious and resilient.
- Good technical understanding of Spectrofluorimeters and flash photolysis spectrometers.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Self-discipline and self-motivation.
- Ability to interpret data.
- Presentation skills.
- Computer literate.
Summary of employment conditions
These positions are based in Livingston. Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm – ½ hour lunch break Friday 8.30 to 2pm
Benefits Package: After an initial qualifying period and subject to the company’s terms and conditions of employment paid sickness, death in service, permanent health insurance, private medical insurance, pension scheme, paid holidays and relevant statutory days taken by the company.
Salary Package: A competitive salary package with OTE potential will be made available to the right candidate(s).
The Company can only process applications from candidates who possess a valid UK work permit and /or EU residency qualification.
Applications can be made in writing via email together with your CV to email@example.com along with expected remuneration package.
This position will suit an individual with a positive and flexible attitude and is a team player. A competitive benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Please forward your c.v. by email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the address provided including your current remuneration.
Resources Manager, Edinburgh Instruments Ltd., 2 Bain Square, Kirkton Campus, Livingston. EH54 7DQ