We are seeking to recruit a Product Design Scientist to join our development team. The development team is responsible for generating new products for fluorescence and flash photolysis spectroscopy, including new light sources, spectrometers and detection systems. The prime aspect of this role is instrumentation development in the field of optical spectroscopy. The ideal candidate will have relevant industrial experience and ideally a university degree in a relevant subject such as optics, engineering, physics, chemistry, biochemistry, or biophysics. Candidates who do not have formal qualifications but can demonstrate relevant work experience will also be considered.p>
It is expected that the candidate will have a thorough knowledge in the principles of optical design concepts, light propagation, light dispersion and data acquisition techniques. Candidates must be able to devise new products and optical building blocks, produce specifications for mechanical, optical, electronics and software design requirements. You will also be expected to devise experimental laboratory work and use the experimental results to produce technical documentation such as manuals, technical notes and application notes.p>
Desired Skills & Experience
- Profound knowledge in the field of optics and optical design.
- Experience with monochromators / spectrographs and CCD technology.
- Knowledge in imaging, spectrograph design.
- Ability to work experimentally in an optics laboratory
- Capability to provide simple solutions to technical problems.
- Experience of working in a team of optics, electronics, mechanics and software design engineers.
- Work independently be self-motivated and possess good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and be able to meet deadlines.
- Experienced and competent with Microsoft Office suite.
As part of our product development strategy we are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to join our small team designing and developing software for our expanding range of Spectrometer products at our Livingston base.
These instruments are used in leading edge research by many prestigious research and development establishments around the world, from universities to pharmaceutical and industrial companies.
Our software products cover a broad range of functionality, ranging from data acquisition and hardware control to data visualisation, processing and numerical analysis, and data management.
This position requires candidates to be degree qualified in software engineering or a related engineering/science discipline with relevant software development experience. Candidates who do not have formal qualifications but can demonstrate relevant experienced will also be considered.
Desired Skills & Experience
As an ideal candidate you will be able to demonstrate:
- Proven experience of commercial or industrial software product development to high quality standards
- Broad Microsoft Windows programming experience using C++, Delphi or C#
- A thorough understanding of Object Oriented Design methods and patterns
- Experience in all areas of software development – from gathering requirements and writing specs to testing and debugging
- Excellent UI design skills
- Experience of using Source Code Management and Bug tracking tools
- Excellent communications skills
- You are self-motivated and able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Attention to detail
Experience in any of the following areas would also be very useful:
- Controlling hardware devices via stepper motors, digital I/O and ADC/DACs using interfaces such as USB and Ethernet
- Charting and graphics
- Implementing and developing Numerical Analysis techniques
Applications can either be made in writing to the contact details provided or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with current remuneration and vacancy REF number.
The Company can only process applications from candidates who possess a valid UK work permit and / or EU residency qualification.
Edinburgh Instruments Ltd.,
2 Bain Square,
Livingston. EH54 7DQ.